Monday, 5 August 2013
Slash Dot Dash Podcast 022: Mikkel Metal
Mikkel Metal, aka Mikkel Meldgaard, born 1973, lives and works in Copenhagen. Completing a degree in Philosophy at the University of Coepnhagen in 2001, he now works as a teacher at KEA on an e-concept development program, besides making music.
His musical career started in the early nineties as a guitarist. Equally interested in the introspective sound of the British shoe gazer scene and the looser low-fi aesthetic of American slacker bands, he playing in various bands and developed as a guitarist.
By the mid-nineties he had grown an interest in electronic music, and bought a sampler. At first the focus laid on break beat music and melodic stuff. Later the direction changed towards a sound inspired by dub, techno and click sensibilities. While the indierock is still apparent, this is the sound that characterised Mikkel's music today.
Things kicked off in 2000, with the release of a 7-inch on the label Hal9000, that topped the de:bug's monthly chart (no. 42). Afterwards came an appearance on the net label Datamusik, and a series of 12 inches on the Danish label Echocord.
Mikkel developed and refined his sound, and also started issuing work to German label Kompakt. So far this has thrown off three 12 inches. These works still continuing click aesthetics and dub influence, but take a slightly different path, and go from shuffle techno to slow melodic 4/4 based tracks. Around 2010 his sound has showed an inspiration from more Detroit based sounds, as heard on his 'Pamon 403' EP on Echocord.
For our 22nd podcast Mikkel created a blissful dub infused soundscape, intertwining subtle grooves with elegant rhythms to transport you into the world of dub techno as seen through the eyes of the Danish producer.
You can subscribe to our podcast series in iTunes or you can download or stream the mix from the soundcloud player below.
1) Boards of Canada - Transmisiones Ferox [Warp Records]
2) Moritz Von Oswald Trio - Blue [Honest Jons]
3) Valenx - Daughters Of The Everfire (Yves De May Remix) [Sonuos]
4) Mikkel Metal - Fubre [Echocord Colour]
5) Marcel Dettmann - Places Like This [Ostgut Ton]
6) Echologist - Buzz Factory [Echocord Colour]
7) Rhythm And Sound - Poor People Must Work (Carl Craig Remix) [Burial Mix]
8) Equalized - 004 [Equalized]
9) Radio Slave - Tantakatan (The Drunken Shed Mix) [Rekids]
10) Tony Blunt - Retrospective (Mikkel Metal Remix) [DPress Industries]
11) Morphosis - Too Far (Marcel Dettmann Definition 2) [Delsin]
12) Levon Vincent - Pivotal Moments In Life [Novel Sound]
13) Martyn - Bad Chicago [Nonplus Records]
14) DJ Koze - Mariposa [Kompakt]
15) Boards of Canada - Semena Mertvykh [Warp Records]
More info on Mikkel's release and upcoming DJ gigs can be found via his Facebook Fan Page