Thursday, 15 August 2013
On Wednesday UK techno legend, Surgeon, started his monthly show on former pirate radio station, now legal, Rinse FM. He kicks things of with his usual blend of cutting edge fresh beats and techno classics that all sit perfectly together to serve up a mix full of industrial aggression and expansive soundscapes.
You can download or stream the mix from the Soundcloud player below
1) Bee Mask - The Story Of Keys And Locks (Surgeon Remix)
2) Voices From The Lake - Reptilicus [Geophone]
3) Sleeparchive - C Version [Downwards]
4) Perseus Traxx - Poseidon's Monster [M>O>S>]
5) Jake Conlon - Dancia [Decoy]
6) J Tijn - Fucklebucks [Pennyroyal]
7) Dot Out - Light [Gate]
8) Qoso - Hard On The Boulevard [In Paradisum]
9) Truss - Redbrook [Prime Numbers]
10) Tomohiko Sagae - Endurance [Authentic Pew]
11) Conforce - Last Anthem [Delsin]
12) Delta Funktionen - And If You Know (Karenn Remix) [Delsin]
13) Perseus Traxx - Gorgon [M>O>S>]
14) Invincible Scum - Scumrush Part 1 [Power Vacuum]
15) The Third Man - Intro Sleep It Off [EPM]
16) LFO - Squeaky [Warp]
17) Phase - Morodem (Ben Sims Remix 1) [Token]
18) Phase - Morodem (Ben Sims Remix 2) [Token]
19) Jeff Mills - Gamma Player [Axis]
20) Jeff Mills - Mercury [Axis]
21) Paris Mitchell - Computer [Dance Mania]
22) Neil Landstrumm - Home Delivery [Peacefrog]
32) Infiniti - Game One [Metroplex]
If this mix has inspired you to seek out Surgeon performing live, and you happen to be in London on Saturday, you're in luck. Because whilst fabric's Room 1 will be hosting the CD launch party for Cassy's new addition to the nightclub's compilation series, Room 2 will be full of the sounds of Birmingham.
Unfortunately Terry Francis is unable to be at the event, but luckily for us, what this means is DJ Skirt and Surgeon will play extended sets to make up the time. Tickets are available from the fabric website
Monday, 12 August 2013
Concrete Fence is the collaboration of two true pioneers, Karl O'Conner (his work as part of British Murder Boys, Sandwell District, or on his own as Regis and of course his legendary label Downwards, has made him one of the key figures in the development of UK techno for the last 20 something years) and Russell Haswell (a conceptual artist who specialises in extreme computer music and audio visual installations).
The act first hit our consciousness when they debuted the live show at Corsica Studios last October. The question we've been asking ourselves ever since, will there be anything released, has finally been answered as 'New Release (1)' is soon to hit the stores care of Pan Records.
The EP comprises of 3 tracks. 'Industrial Disease' has the hallmarks of O'Conner's recent work. When combined with Haswell's love for noises from the realm of the obscure, it creates a masterpiece of experimental techno. 'Caulk' hums at you like a giant industrial demon whilst percussion echos all around before it's very matter destabilises and breaks down before your very eyes. 'The Unabridged Truth' takes on a 4/4 format and almost acts as a middle ground between the previous two and stands out as the more 'dancefloor friendly' portion of the release.
Check out the 'Industrial Disease' below.
The EP is due for release at the end of August. More info can be found on the Pan Records Website
Monday, 5 August 2013
Mikkel Metal, aka Mikkel Meldgaard, born 1973, lives and works in Copenhagen. Completing a degree in Philosophy at the University of Coepnhagen in 2001, he now works as a teacher at KEA on an e-concept development program, besides making music.
His musical career started in the early nineties as a guitarist. Equally interested in the introspective sound of the British shoe gazer scene and the looser low-fi aesthetic of American slacker bands, he playing in various bands and developed as a guitarist.
By the mid-nineties he had grown an interest in electronic music, and bought a sampler. At first the focus laid on break beat music and melodic stuff. Later the direction changed towards a sound inspired by dub, techno and click sensibilities. While the indierock is still apparent, this is the sound that characterised Mikkel's music today.
Things kicked off in 2000, with the release of a 7-inch on the label Hal9000, that topped the de:bug's monthly chart (no. 42). Afterwards came an appearance on the net label Datamusik, and a series of 12 inches on the Danish label Echocord.
Mikkel developed and refined his sound, and also started issuing work to German label Kompakt. So far this has thrown off three 12 inches. These works still continuing click aesthetics and dub influence, but take a slightly different path, and go from shuffle techno to slow melodic 4/4 based tracks. Around 2010 his sound has showed an inspiration from more Detroit based sounds, as heard on his 'Pamon 403' EP on Echocord.
For our 22nd podcast Mikkel created a blissful dub infused soundscape, intertwining subtle grooves with elegant rhythms to transport you into the world of dub techno as seen through the eyes of the Danish producer.
You can subscribe to our podcast series in iTunes or you can download or stream the mix from the soundcloud player below.
1) Boards of Canada - Transmisiones Ferox [Warp Records]
2) Moritz Von Oswald Trio - Blue [Honest Jons]
3) Valenx - Daughters Of The Everfire (Yves De May Remix) [Sonuos]
4) Mikkel Metal - Fubre [Echocord Colour]
5) Marcel Dettmann - Places Like This [Ostgut Ton]
6) Echologist - Buzz Factory [Echocord Colour]
7) Rhythm And Sound - Poor People Must Work (Carl Craig Remix) [Burial Mix]
8) Equalized - 004 [Equalized]
9) Radio Slave - Tantakatan (The Drunken Shed Mix) [Rekids]
10) Tony Blunt - Retrospective (Mikkel Metal Remix) [DPress Industries]
11) Morphosis - Too Far (Marcel Dettmann Definition 2) [Delsin]
12) Levon Vincent - Pivotal Moments In Life [Novel Sound]
13) Martyn - Bad Chicago [Nonplus Records]
14) DJ Koze - Mariposa [Kompakt]
15) Boards of Canada - Semena Mertvykh [Warp Records]
More info on Mikkel's release and upcoming DJ gigs can be found via his Facebook Fan Page